Each month of the food calendar pays homage to either fruits, vegetables, main dishes or desserts. Its like a pandoras box for food lovers since they get a chance to try new recipes almost every day of the month. May is considered to be Salad Month, celebrating one of the healthiest and most wholesome meals. With summer fast approaching, it seems apt for May to be Salad Month, as lots of delectable fruits and vegetables are in season. Not just that the heat simply makes you want to eat light meals and those that help you cool down. Salads are perfect for the summer accompanied by a light vinaigrette, keeps the salad light and those extra pounds off your waist.
Creating your own salad dishes is like entering into a culinary playground; a plethora of ingredients to choose from and numerous ways of altering the taste. Every creation then has an identity and flavor of its own. My personal favorites are salads which have bold flavors yet featherlite at the same time. I enjoy balancing the crisp texture of iceberg lettuce with the nutty flavors of almonds and the sweet yet tart taste of either lemons or oranges. Salads in order to become a hearty meal require the addition of any meat or seafood of your choice. I used chicken for this recipe but it can always be substituted to suit your tastebuds.
- 3 chicken fillets, cut into strips
- 1 cup finely crushed almonds
- Mixed greens (iceberg lettuce, frisee endive, radiccio)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup beansprouts
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt and Pepper
- Slivered almonds
- Cut the chicken into thin strips. Drizzle some olive oil and mix well
- Cover the chicken with crushed almonds and some salt. Mix together to coat the chicken completely
- Add some olive oil to a grill pan and let it heat. Add the chicken strips and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. If the strips are thicker it would take longer to cook. Make sure not to keep the strips for too long on the grill or they will char
- Cover and set aside till required
- Meanwhile, toss the salad leaves, tomatoes, cucumbers, oranges and beansprouts in a large bowl
- Whisk together the olive oil, orange juice, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper
- Pour over the salad and mix well
- Serve with the almond-crusted chicken and garnish with slivered almonds
As the mercury shoots up close to the equator, this is the ideal meal to have to counter the soaring temperatures. The almond-crusted chicken can be used in many ways, either with pasta or with roasted potatoes or even larger pieces just on their own. But the best results are when the almonds are crushed very finely, chunky pieces usually over power the flavor of the chicken and its accompaniments. May being touted as Salad Month gives us an excuse to turn towards healthy eating, thereby creating a more balanced lifestyle. Hence this May I intend to concentrate on salad and other healthy recipes.